Zum Inhalt springen

English for runaways - the phantom menace

Carwyn

Empfohlene Beiträge

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Grimlet:

[...]Yeah it is, I'll try to translate it for you without the use of google. 

through = durch

tough = hart 

thorough = gründlich

thought = Überlegung

@Carwynthough = jedoch[...]

I understood it, but I think if I should read it aloud, I would have my problems with the difference in the pronunciation. It's like a jawbreaker for me.

Am 14.2.2017 um 22:08 schrieb YAnnIFreaK:

To my defence: I am sixteen :D

"In defence: I am sixteen" ;)

Zitat

And that mistake with university was very stupid, yes...

Institutions like Congress, White House, University, God, and so on are always written with a capital letter up front. :)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Asura:

Same counts for

"Same goes for..."

Zitat

'I attended an English course, but I dropped it because I had no time (football (Don't you dare "correcting" it into soccer!) training, meeting friends, other stuff to do.. like beeing lazy.)

Because it's American football or do you love to stick to the BE expression rather than the AE expression "soccer"? ;)

Zitat

If you correct my mistakes, would you mind to write a short sentence, instead of just marking it read? "it's wrong because.."?

Well, format-wise that makes things a lot easier. So yeah, I could do that. It's not as colorful as I imagined then, but meh...;)

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Carwyn:

I'm currently listening to Hamilton the musical. It's full of jawbreakers. I already mastered some of them. But there are still a hell lot of them to go. Especially considering the speed in which they rap or sing those lines.

That's on my watchlist, I'm still waiting for the DVD release or movie whatever is coming. I heard so much about it in the news. It seems to be very popular in broadway. I'm not a fan of rap though. Do you like Les Miserables or Phantom of the Opera?

I actually got back into musicals with Hamilton. But yeah, I really wanna check out Les Mis, Rent, Book of Mormon, In The Heights, Avenue Q, Phantom and all the other ones. Because I really start liking this kind of music again (after some time binge-listening to Starlight Express back in the days), so I really wanna delve deeper into that. I'm also a big fangirl for Lin-Manuel Miranda, who wrote and starred in Hamilton and who does a hell lot of work for Disney. I'm actually getting a different perspective on all the movies from Disney which are heavily muscial movies like "Beauty and the Beast", "Frozen", "Tangled", "Arielle" and all the other ones.
Oh, and I saw "La La Land". It's often cheesy but a pretty true look at how a relationship starts, evolves and eventually gets torn apart. And the songs are just a few, but those are strong ones.
Two songs from that movie are Oscar nominees for "Best Song". And they'll compete with "How far I'll go" from the movie "Moana" (Vaiana), which was written by...you guessed it: Lin-Manuel Miranda. If Lin wins the Oscar for "Best Song", he'll be the youngest to have earned an Emmy (Tony Awards show), a Tony (Hamilton, In The Heights), a Grammy (Hamilton Cast Album) and an Oscar. This feat is called the "EGOT". But since he has also got a Pulitzer for Hamilton and receieved a MacArthur Fellowship, he might be the first one completing a MacPEGOT. ;) 

Oh, and yeah, Hamilton might be mostly hip-hop. But it's an amazing masterpiece and the rap feels totally organic and fitting. I really recommend that musical. It's brilliant and something never heard before. There's also Jazz and straight muscial numbers as well, so it's definitely a great variety in that show.

If I had to recommend some songs to get the feel of the musical, you should definitely hear:

• Alexander Hamilton
  • My Shot (Brilliant "I Want"-Song!)
  • Wait For It
  • The Battle of Yorktown
  • Guns and Ships
  • The Room Where It Happens
  • You'll be back
  • Satisfied

And probably a whole lot more...but you'll hear them when you get caught by the music so much that you wanna listen to the whole cast album. ;)

You should definitely check out Les Mis(I like the 10th anniversary the most, 25th is good too) and the Phantom of the Opera(25th anniversary I love the chemistry between the two main actors). These two are my favorites.  I don’t know any of the other musicals you’ve mentioned. xD I’ve heard about Starlight Express but that’s about it. I’m not much of musical connoisseur. :D But I will take a look at it.

Yeah Disney movies are great too for musicals. That kind of reminds of a song I’ve been listening for a while in the past. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n15UKexKf4k) Go listen to that if you need some work done! XD

About La La Land, I love the movie! I actually saw it at the premiere and it was ladies night:ph34r:. But I didn't care. It was totally worth it! I like to listen to the soundtrack while I'm commuting. The most cheesiest part was probably the dancing in the galaxy thingy(what do you call it?) when they suddenly started to lift up and continued dancing in the stars haha whatever.

I also knew that Lin-Manuel Miranda was involved in Moana. :D I mistakenly thought he might have sung the theme song, but he was just the songwriter. Anyway another movie I still have to see. Interesting, I didn’t know he won so many awards! Impressive for his age.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Carwyn:

If I had to recommend some songs to get the feel of the musical, you should definitely hear:

• Alexander Hamilton
  • My Shot (Brilliant "I Want"-Song!)
  • Wait For It
  • The Battle of Yorktown
  • Guns and Ships
  • The Room Where It Happens
  • You'll be back
  • Satisfied

And probably a whole lot more...but you'll hear them when you get caught by the music so much that you wanna listen to the whole cast album. ;)

Sounds good I will wait patiently for the Movie. How nice of you to make recommendation list. :) I have the soundtrack somewhere but still prefer to see the performance first preferably with Subtitles. :lol:

Bearbeitet von Grimlet

Am 17.2.2017 um 17:22 schrieb Grimlet:

You should definitely check out Les Mis(I like the 10th anniversary the most, 25th is good too) and the Phantom of the Opera(25th anniversary I love the chemistry between the two main actors). These two are my favorites.  I don’t know any of the other musicals you’ve mentioned. xD I’ve heard about Starlight Express but that’s about it. I’m not much of musical connoisseur. :D But I will take a look at it.

I'm pretty new to all of it as well. But I was looking into Lins work and then you just kinda stumble from one thing to the other, find other musical composers and then there is this whole world opening up in front of you. ;)

Yeah Disney movies are great too for musicals. That kind of reminds of a song I’ve been listening for a while in the past. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n15UKexKf4k) Go listen to that if you need some work done! XD

I'll look into it when I find the time. Thank you. :)

I also knew that Lin-Manuel Miranda was involved in Moana. :D I mistakenly thought he might have sung the theme song, but he was just the songwriter. Anyway another movie I still have to see. Interesting, I didn’t know he won so many awards! Impressive for his age.

I know, right? He's as old as me. That makes me feel depressed. ;)

Oh and he'll actually perform the song "how far I'll go" on stage at the Oscars. :)

Sounds good I will wait patiently for the Movie. How nice of you to make recommendation list. :) I have the soundtrack somewhere but still prefer to see the performance first preferably with Subtitles. :lol:

Sorry to break it to you, but if you're waiting for the movie, you'll probably have to wait for a looong time. Go, listen to the cast album. They've got the lyrics and the whole musical is without much talking. Every song pretty much blends into the next one. So if you listen to the cast album, you pretty much get all of the story. It's brilliant.

And the pronounciation is quite decent, so I bet you'll understand most of the lyrics without having to look them up or feeling the need to have it subtitled.

aaah musicals <3

I am a big musical fan, but I have to admit, that Hamilton is just not as good (for me) as most of the other musicals. 

The story is great, the songs are rather intelligent, but it just didn't quite get me. 

Maybe I'm just to old fashioned, as my favourite musicals are phantom of the opera, les mis and "Tanz der Vampire" (only the german version. The broadway play just sucked. )

Am 21.2.2017 um 09:25 schrieb abby:

I am a big musical fan, but I have to admit, that Hamilton is just not as good (for me) as most of the other musicals. 

The story is great, the songs are rather intelligent, but it just didn't quite get me. 

Well, it's always a question of taste. And if it doesn't get you that much, that's fine too. :)

Am 21.2.2017 um 09:25 schrieb abby:

Maybe I'm just to old fashioned, as my favourite musicals are phantom of the opera, les mis and "Tanz der Vampire" (only the german version. The broadway play just sucked. )

I was totally into Starlight Express once (when I was about....11 or something). But yeah, I love the songs that I know from phantom. I totally wanna check that out. As well as Les Mis. 

In hindsight I think that Starlight Express is more like a mediocre muscial both song-wise and storytelling-wise. And since Lloyd Webber gave his son enough options to write new songs for the musical, it doesn't even feel as good as it was from the get go with all the original songs in it.

So you went to Broadway and saw Phantom? That sounds amazing! Maybe I'll make that kinda trip one day too. For Hamilton, I suppose, but...Broadway! Damn! :)

I always wanted to see the phantom live, so we had our last big vacation in new york. (We both always wanted to go there, but acutally the phantom was the main reason xD) 

It was great, I can totally recommend it. :) (we also saw Hamilton, and Chicago luckily a friend of ours did not use his cards, normally you won't get tickets for hamilton that easy. So plan ahead. )

Especially for musical fans, new york is the best city for a trip. And it is definitely one of the most amazing cities of the world. I hope that I can live there for a longer time some day. (maybe for my master studies)

Okay, wait...you got tickets for Hamilton without having to use the lottery or the late night queue? On Broadway? And probably some of the original cast members was still on the show? I'm so damn envious, I can't tell you how much that burns. :D

I've never actually been to New York. I was there for a short sleep-over between flights. But I didn't really get to see the city. I essentially saw the airport and the airport hotel.

But there will come a time...definitely!

Yes we did :) Our friend had two tickets left because someone got ill. So he asked us to come, as we were in the City. 

I actually realised a few weeks later how lucky we were. (And I'm a little bit sorry because the play just didn't get me...)

Go to New York! I never believed you could fall in love with a city. But then I went to New York and boom instant love :) (When you are there, do not only visit Manhattan, we stayed in the bronx and it was a great experience, the people are so nice and helpfull there, 

Bearbeitet von abby

• 4 Wochen später...
  • 3 Wochen später...

Of course I know that! :)

Sorry if I don't write that much lately to keep this thread alive and kicking, but I've only got so much time on my hands. ...and this time is needed somewhere else right now.
I just hope there's enough people in here who think it's fun to have a conversation in English and that the community is eager to correct each other's mistakes in a respectful manner.

• 1 Monat später...

Ok here it goes, I'm trying to revive this thread. So I recently started watching American Gods. It's currently on Amazon Prime. There two Episodes out yet. The series is a film adaption by the book of Neil Gaiman. I have it on my bookshelf somewhere but I lost interest while reading it :rolleyes:. Now after seeing it I'm considering to take another look at it. I really like it so far. It's quite bloody and has some nude scenes. The overall atmosphere is very dark which I enjoy. There are some actors I'm still wondering what god is he playing?! 

Have anyone else seen it? Or other series?

Another question, mother's day will be on sunday. Did you have any plans or gifts for your lovely mother?:D

Please correct my mistakes. :lol:

Bearbeitet von Grimlet

Fachinformatiker.de, 2024 by SE Internet Services

fidelogo_small.png

Schicke uns eine Nachricht!

Fachinformatiker.de ist die größte IT-Community
rund um Ausbildung, Job, Weiterbildung für IT-Fachkräfte.

Fachinformatiker.de App

Download on the App Store
Get it on Google Play

Kontakt

Hier werben?
Oder sende eine E-Mail an

Social media u. feeds

Jobboard für Fachinformatiker und IT-Fachkräfte

• Neu erstellen...